Sunday, April 13, 2014

The first time I ran a 10k

I can now say I've run a 10k!!!! I am so proud of myself! I was so nervous and excited and scared and all sorts of emotions going into this race! I had run twice in the week prior, and both times I didn't do well. I wasn't feeling confident. I ran with one of my best friends and on the way up I said "I had never run a 5k until we did the ugly sweater run!" And her husband said "So think about that - you'll be able to say you never ran a 10k until this run!" And I did think about that as I got tired....and it kept me going!
I LOVED all the people on the sidelines, rooting for their loved ones. I saw a little girl holding a sign that said "This is the most boring parade EVER!" haha! Too cute!!!
The subtle hills killed me, the not so subtle hills killed me, the first mile killed me, and boy, that last mile killed me, too. But i kept on going. I kept thinking "if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you...and i'm ready for this change!"
It was right after the 5k mark that i saw the next sign that stuck with me the rest of the way...and seriously got me through this race. It said "When your legs get tired, run with your heart." And I had heard that quote before, but it never hit home until today. Cause my legs were tired. I was so out of breath. I had another 5k to go. But I wasn't quitting. I'd been wanting this for so long, I wasn't about to stop. So my heart took over. It honestly did. I tackled the hills and I sped up a little and I kept going. And when I saw that "finish line" i went even faster!!!! It feels so GREAT to reach this goal!!!! 
This time last year I couldn't even run 2 minutes without stopping. But I just ran 1 hour, 1 minute and 51 seconds - and I've never felt better  I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment